Re: Gnucash segfaults

On Tue, 2010-03-16 at 13:09 -0400, John A. Sullivan III wrote:
> <snip>>
> Compiling 2.2.9 from source works without installing the libraries from
> Squeeze.  Is this something that should be passed along to backports?
> How is that done? Thanks - John
I was able to build an installable .deb package for 2.2.9 for Lenny with
the problematic lenny-backport libraries.  This is what I did (adapted
from our internal documentation):

GnuCash 2.2.6 seg faults on Lenny when the Lenny-Backports are used for
OpenOffice and IceWeasel.  This is probably due to the newer libglib2.
We cannot simply install 2.2.9 from Squeeze or Sid as it has many
dependencies that would seem dangerous to bring into Lenny.  Thus, we
will recompile the 2.2.9 deb for Lenny.
The procedure is as follows.
Some of the steps need to be done as root
Install the needed packages for building
apt-get -t lenny-backports install devscripts build-essential
Edit /etc/apt/sources.list by adding a Lenny Backports source repository
such as the following:
deb-src http://www.backports.org/debian/ lenny-backports main contrib non-free
Make apt aware of the repository:
apt-get update
Other steps MUST not be done by root so we need another user console to
do the following steps.
We will need the 2.2.6 source deb to have all the various settings and
options used by debian.  These will be in the debian directory and is
really all we need from the source deb.  We will store this in
gnucash-2.2.6
We will also need the 2.2.9 source tarball.  We will store this in
gnucash which will become the deb build directory
mkdir /data/Tech/download/gnucash
mkdir /data/Tech/download/gnucash-2.2.6
cd /data/Tech/download/gnucash-2.2.6
apt-get -t lenny-backports source gnucash gnucash-common
We need to install dependencies and this must be done as root so return
to the root console and do:
cd /data/Tech/download/gnucash-2.2.6
apt-get -t lenny-backports build-dep gnucash gnucash-common
Return to the user console
cd /data/Tech/download/gnucash
wget http://www.gnucash.org/pub/gnucash/sources/stable/gnucash-2.2.9.tar.bz2
tar jfvx gnucash-2.2.9.tar.bz2
mv gnucash{-,_}2.2.9.tar.bz2
mv gnucash_2.2.9{,.orig}.tar.bz2  - This is the name format debuild will
expect
cd gnucash-2.2.9
cp -r ../../gnucash-2.2.6/gnucash-2.2.6/debian ./
cd debian
The changelog is more than information; it is critical for debuild
processing.  Add something similar to the following at the top (the
syntax is very fussy)
gnucash (2.2.9-0) stable; urgency=high
  * 2.2.6 segfaults with libglib from lenny-backports
 -- John Sullivan <jsullivan@pacifera.com>  Sat, 27 Mar 2010 19:18:00 -0500
Edit the control file and edit the two Replaces lines so they read:
Replaces: gnucash-common (<< 2.2.6-3)
Replaces: gnucash (<< 2.2.6-3)
Edit the files file so it reads:
gnucash-common_2.2.9-0_all.deb gnome optional
gnucash_2.2.9-0_amd64.deb gnome optional
debuild will complain about the -0 but I do not want to give it -1 in
case the real 2.2.9 package is -1 when it is released.
cd ..
debuild -us -uc
cd ..
The two .deb files should be in this directory and can be installed
where needed

I really don't know what I am doing so there might be plenty of mistakes
in the above but hope it is useful to someone facing the same problem -
John