Re: Gnucash segfaults

On Mon, Mar 15, 2010 at 08:16:32PM -0400, John A. Sullivan III wrote:
> On Mon, 2010-03-15 at 18:11 -0400, John A. Sullivan III wrote:

> > > hmmm... okay, a couple of options.
> > >
> > > 1) run gnucash from the command line: gnucash --nofile
> > > which will open an empty gnucash instance. If that doesn't crash, then
> > > try opening your file from the file menu at that point. I suspect this
> > > won't work though, that it will crash.
> > Indeed - had tried that early on and it crashes as soon as I try to open
> > an account.

hmmm... try this:

launch gnucash with the --nofile flag. Then head into preferences and
make sure the automatic running of scheduled transactions is turned
off. Edit -> Preferences -> Scheduled transactions -> "Run when data
file opened". Make sure that's unchecked. Then open your data file and
see what happens. One of the problems in the past was a crash from
sched txns running automatically. Again, it's been a while for me, so
I'm just guessing...

[...]

> Argh!!! This is getting very frustrating - probably all my ignorance.  I
> rebuilt the debs and still get the same segfaults.  Here's what I did
> (from our internal docs):
>
> Some of the steps need to be done as root so we will need to create a
> root console.  Install the needed packages for building
> apt-get -t lenny-backports install devscripts build-essential
> Edit /etc/apt/sources.list by adding a Lenny Backports source repository
> such as the following:
> deb-src http://www.backports.org/debian/ lenny-backports main contrib
> non-free
> Make apt aware of the repository:
> apt-get update
> Other steps MUST not be done by root so we need another user console to
> do the following steps.
> We next need to download the source and rebuild it
> mkdir /data/Tech/download/gnucash
> cd /data/Tech/download/gnucash
> apt-get -t lenny-backports source gnucash gnucash-common

what output did the above command produce?

> We need to install dependencies and this must be done as root so return
> to the root console and do:
> cd /data/Tech/download/gnucash
> apt-get -t lenny-backports build-dep gnucash gnucash-common
> Return to the user console
> cd gnucash-2.2.6
> debuild -us -uc
> cd ..
> The two .deb files should be in this directory and can be installed
> where needed
>

> I then installed them with dpkg -i. It clearly stated it was replacing
> gnucash and gnucash common:
>
> jasiii:/data/download/gnucash# ls
> gnucash-2.2.6                gnucash_2.2.6-2_amd64.changes
> gnucash_2.2.6-2.diff.gz  gnucash_2.2.6.orig.tar.gz
> gnucash_2.2.6-2_amd64.build  gnucash_2.2.6-2_amd64.deb
> gnucash_2.2.6-2.dsc      gnucash-common_2.2.6-2_all.deb

these are all version 2.2.6, the same one that was giving you
trouble. You need the source for 2.2.9...