Re: How to reduce a debian system to a base system

Mike Viau wrote:
Hello Debian users,

I was looking for a way to purge or remove all the packages that were installed on a Debian system _after_ the initial (bare bone) minimal system installation. I have searched on Google for "How to reduce a Debian system to a base system" but it seems like the topic of interest was to reduce the memory consumption of the installed system, which is not my consern.

In essence I would like to revert my system back to a freshly installed state, without reinstalling. Ultimatly is this possible?

I have tried a few options already, which did not work :

1)

I ran

dpkg --get-selections > to file

from a (bare bone) minimal installation of Debian Lenny or Squeeze, and then ran
dpkg --set-selections < from file

on the non fresh system.

*This method _only adds_ and upgrades packages, it _will not remove_ packages that do not exist in the list

2)
I executed dselect (a dpkg frontend), entered the select menu and pressed "-" ( or "_" to purge) at the top where "All packages" was, but this turns out to be a very distructive removal process taking the linux kernel, grub bootloader, and even further package management utilities like apt.
This is not was I was expecting after reading:

Note that it's not possible to remove "All Packages".  If you try that, your system will instead be reduced to the initial installed base packages. [1]

3)

Even with the powers of aptitude I am unable to revert the systems package state. Perhaps I missed something with this tool?

Your help is much appreciated!

[1] - http://www.debian.org/doc/FAQ/ch-pkgtools.en.html

-M

If this is for deployment, I would say: create your bare bones system. Clonezilla it. Then you at least have an image to restore from in under 5 minutes. via a CD boot or flash drive. And of course, the images will more then likely fit on a 4 gig flash but certainly an 8.