Re: (Partially SOLVED) Re: Wireless still not working

Marc Shapiro <mshapiro_42@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Now, my problem is with connecting and that is probably a
> configuration problem, but...

> My wireless network shows up in wicd and I
> select it and click on "Connect."  Wicd connects and authenticates, then it
> tries to retrieve an IP address through DHCP.  After a few minutes of this,
> it gives up.  I don't know that much about wireless connections, so I still
> need help.  I am using WEP security and have entered my hex passcode.
> Wicd has already passed the authentication phase, so that should not be an
> issue.  Why would it not be able to retrieve an IP address?  This
> sounds like a DHCP configuration issue, but I don't know where to look for that,
> either.  Is there a config file that I could compare between the Debian and
> Eeebuntu installations?

Now, I'm thinking that it is a security/authentication problem.  At work, where I am connecting via an unsecured network, I can connect just fine.  I am posting this from the eeePC after installing Iceweasel over the wireless connection.

If the problem is authenticating over WEP, how do I track down that error?

 Marc Shapiro
mshapiro_42@yahoo.com