Re: Wireless still not working (was:Re: New Lenny to Squeeze install problems on ASUS eee)

On Thu,18.Mar.10, 17:10:46, Marc Shapiro wrote:

> As I said in my reply to Stephen, I have installed wireless-tools and
> after loading the rtl8187se module I have a pan0 device listed by

If you have to load the module by hand that is a sign that something is
wrong. Pushing further in this direction will probably not help.

> iwconfig.  Unfortunately, running 'ifup pan0' does bring the interface
> up so that it shows in 'ifconfig' but does NOT turn the radio on, so I
> still get no wireless networks.  Is there firmware in firmware-ralink
> that gets that next step to work?  Running 'aptitude show
> firmware-ralink' does not mention rtl8187se.  Is it included in one of
> the many chipsets and devices that it does mention?

I'm copying below my suggested steps, which are still valid:

> > This should give you a hint about what's
> > missing, but it should be 'firmware-ralink'

Ok, I admit this was just a guess, but the command above will tell you
exactly what *file* the kernel module is looking for and then you will
be able to find the package with apt-file (if it's available in Debian)
or feed your preferred search engine with the corect search term to find
what you need.

Regards,
Andrei