Re: Radeon HD 3850 / RV670 AGP: no firmware loaded / slow

On 17 March 2010 15:24, Andrei Popescu <andreimpopescu@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed,17.Mar.10, 11:27:19, Joost Kraaijeveld wrote:
>> Hi Andrei,
>>
>> OK, doing
>>
>> modprobe -r radeon
>> modprobe radeon modeset=1
>>
>> using 2.6.32-3-amd64 results in a working machine which actually
>> performance workplace and application switching at acceptable speed.
>
> Are you sure the modeset=1 is actually needed? AFAIU radeon is not
> completely ready for KMS (at least not in Debian).

Now that you said that, I had not enabled KMS, but I got DRI to work
without problems and with good performance.

On the other hand, I think I saw something today in linux-image's
changelog that said KMS was being enabled by default for radeons.
Maybe a kernel upgrade would solve things once and for all.

>> Now I just have 1 error left in my XOrg.log:
>>
>> (EE) RADEON(0): [dri] RADEONDRIGetVersion failed because of a version mismatch.
>> [dri] radeon kernel module version is 2.0.0 but version 1.17.0 or newer is needed.
>> [dri] Disabling DRI.
>
> The error message is quite strange: the Xorg driver complains that a
> newer kernel module is needed, but 2.0.0 should be newer than 1.17.0...

True, but I do remember getting the same and being able to fix it.
Sorry but I don't have access to that computer atm so I can't look for
the solution...

> Regards,
> Andrei

Cheers,