Radeon HD 3850 / RV670 AGP: no firmware loaded / slow

Hi,

I am struggling with my Radeon HD 3850 / RV670 AGP ever since I have
upgraded to XOrg 7.5 which is (still) not supported by the proprietary
driver. The OSS Radeon driver is *really* slow. Switching between
workplaces or (full screen) applications sometimes take more than 30
seconds. More applications lead to more seconds.

I have tried every suggestion on the internet that I could find, saw all
kind of video effects, including no video at all, but nothing worked so
far.

There are several thing that I notice:

1. In several postings I saw the mentioning of the need to load
firmware. I have installed all the firmware-linux packages, including
the non-free which contains the relevant Radeon firmware. I see some
firmware getting loaded (eg for my Broadcom NIC) but no attempt is made
to load the firmware for my Radeon card. I have fiddled with
radeon.modeset=1/0 settings, both on /etc/modprobe.d conf files, as
manually loading/unloading the radeon modules, but none of the attempts
leaded to a working system.

Should the firmware get loaded, and if so, how should I do that?

2. In the XOrg.0.log it says:

(EE) RADEON(0): [agp] Could not bind
(EE) RADEON(0): [agp] AGP failed to initialize. Disabling the DRI.
(II) RADEON(0): [agp] You may want to make sure the agpgart kernel
module is loaded before the radeon kernel module.

The agpgart kernel module is compiled in ( a change from
2.6.32-trunk-amd64 which used a module, whereas
2.6.32-3-amd has it compiled in). But disabling DRI disables the
acceleration I believe.

Is that correct?

3. I have tried both the radeon and radeonhd driver without any success.
Both drivers appear to e working.

Is it correct that the radeon driver is preferred for my card?

The last question: is there anyone who actually has this card working,
with 2/3D acceleration? Or am I trying to do something that just is not
possible (yet)?

TIA

My system is a fully updated Squeeze (testing) Debian AMD64:

linux-image-2.6.32-9
firmware-linux 0.23
firmware-linux-free 2.6.32-9
firmware-linux-nonfree  0.23