Re: enabling tap and circular scroll on touchpad and modern debian/X

On Thu, 18 Mar 2010 08:15:51 +1100
Alexander Samad <alex@samad.com.au> wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 18, 2010 at 5:38 AM, Sjoerd Hardeman
> <sjoerd@lorentz.leidenuniv.nl> wrote:
> > Micha schreef:
> [snip]

> Okay missed this the first time around, i did not realise it was a
> udev rule and not a hal rule
>
> I though the doc said to use fdi rules to configure the touchpad

It's a moving target, that's the problem.

Until version 7 or so of X it was via xorg.conf (had that setup pretty well).
Then the default changed to hal to allow auto detection and that was fdi rules.
There was actually quite a bit of screaming about it on the list at the time
since there were people who really didn't like hal. Now for quite some time (at
least in unstable, not sure if it propagated to testing already) hal is mostly
deprecated in favor udev so the fdi files no longer work and everything has to
move into udev.

Problem is that as far as I can tell there is very little documentation on
both. A few more examples on hal by now, couldn't find anything useful on udev.

I need to finish a couple of deadlines and I'll test Sjoerd file. Looks easy
enough to adapt to my needs which is great. After that I'll see if I can manage
to modify it also handle my trackpoint and usb mouse.