Re: Increasing or Freeing inodes

On 20100317_222432, Siju George wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 17, 2010 at 9:14 PM, Stefan Monnier
> <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:
> >> I am runnig backuppc on this server and I guess it is those hardlinks
> >> that are consuming the inodes.
> >
> > hardlinks do not use inodes (they only use up space in the directory in
> > which they appear).  But every symlink and every directory does use an
> > inode.
> >

> Oh! Any idea how i can find why the inodes got used up while there is
> around 50% of free space in the partition?
>
> DISK WARNING - free space: /var 426 GB (54% inode=99%): / 6 GB (1%
> inode=89%): /boot 173 GB (99% inode=99%):

This is somewhat brute force, but might give you an idea of what is happening:

# find <mount-point-of-fs> -ls |less

You will get an unsorted list of all in-use inodes and what they are being
used for (I think). Scan it looking for clues to source of your problem.
Or, maybe, send output of find command to a file and sort the file by some
plausible criterion and then look at result with less. You might find a lot
of soft links and learn something from their names, which might give you
a clue to how to fix.

HTH
--
Paul E Condon