Re: More Xorg

On Mon, 15 Mar 2010 23:08:56 -0400 (EDT)
Stephen Powell <zlinuxman@wowway.com> wrote:

Hello Stephen,

> On Mon, 15 Mar 2010 18:20:28 -0400 (EDT), Brad Rogers wrote:
> > Thanks, Stephen.  That's very kind of you.  I've changed the subject
> > header, and removed references, so this should appear as a new
> > thread; We're no longer doing kernel stuff.
> I meant to do that myself and forgot.  Thanks.

You're welcome.  I just hoped you'd notcie the new thread.

> > (WW) NV: Ignoring unsupported device 0x10de0848 (C77 [GeForce 8300])
> > at 02@00:00:0 ...
> The above is the most important entry in the log file.  You have
> an unsupported chipset.  Therefore, the nv driver cannot be used

True.  What made me persist is that, when I run Xorg -configure, nv is
selected as the driver.  Obviously, the hope this gave me was a false
one.

>    Chipset "G80"
> in the "Device" section might work.  I'm not making any promises.

Unfortunately, it didn't, but thatnks for the tip.

> If it doesn't, look in /var/log/Xorg.0.log for error messages.

"Ignoring unsupported chipset" and "No screens found".  No surprises.

> Sometimes, if you give an invalid value for Chipset it will list
> what the valid values are, and you may find something there that
> is close enough to work.

Sadly not, in this case.   :-(

> is to install the xserver-xorg-video-nv package from unstable, which
> is newer and *might* support your chipset.  Otherwise, you're stuck

That opens up a whole can of worms for me.  I'd rather not go that
route.  Even so, again, thanks for the tip.

> best that the video BIOS can do.  Since your monitor *does* support
> DDC2/EDID, you *don't* want to use
>    Option "NoDDC"

That got in there from experimentation based things you said in the
other Xorg thread.  Stupidly, I didn't remove it.

Once again Stephen, thanks for your help.

--
 Regards  _

Loaded like a freight train flyin' like an aeroplane
Nightrain - Guns 'N' Roses