Re: More Xorg

On Mon, 15 Mar 2010 18:20:28 -0400 (EDT), Brad Rogers wrote:
> On Mon, 15 Mar 2010 17:48:46 -0400 (EDT), Stephen Powell wrote:
>> If you will provide the following information, I'll be glad to take
>> a look at it for you.
>
> Thanks, Stephen.  That's very kind of you.  I've changed the subject
> header, and removed references, so this should appear as a new thread;
> We're no longer doing kernel stuff.

I meant to do that myself and forgot.  Thanks.

>> (1) What release of Debian are you running (Lenny, Squeeze, etc.)
>
> I permanently run testing.
>
>> (2) What is the make and model of your computer
>
> It's a homebrew system built on an ASUS M3N78 PRO mobo, with a dual core
> AMD64 processor.
>
>> (3) What is the make and model of your video card
>
> Onboard the mobo, an nVidia chipset, reported as GeForce 8300
> compatible, but called C77.  (Xorg rejects it as unknown, but when
> generating a .config file correctly selects the nv driver).
>
>> (4) What is the make and model of your monitor
>
> LG W2024.  Native screen resolution is 1680 x 1050, but I currently get
> 1280 x 1024.
>
>> (5) What is the current contents of your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file
>
> Empty (i.e. there isn't one)
>
>> (6) What is the current contents of your /var/log/Xorg.0.log file

> (WW) NV: Ignoring unsupported device 0x10de0848 (C77 [GeForce 8300]) at 02@00:00:0

The above is the most important entry in the log file.  You have
an unsupported chipset.  Therefore, the nv driver cannot be used
unless you know the chipset to be compatible with another chipset
which is supported and you do a chipset override.  For example,
something like

   Chipset "G80"

in the "Device" section might work.  I'm not making any promises.
If it doesn't, look in /var/log/Xorg.0.log for error messages.
Sometimes, if you give an invalid value for Chipset it will list
what the valid values are, and you may find something there that
is close enough to work.

Another possibility
is to install the xserver-xorg-video-nv package from unstable, which
is newer and *might* support your chipset.  Otherwise, you're stuck with
the VESA driver, which uses the video BIOS to set video modes; and the
resolution you want, which is 1680x1050 I presume, is not one of the
video modes available from the video BIOS.  1280x1024 is the best that
the video BIOS can do.  Since your monitor *does* support DDC2/EDID,
you *don't* want to use

   Option "NoDDC"

which is present in the "Device" section that you generated.  Take that out.

--
  .''`.     Stephen Powell    <zlinuxman@wowway.com>
 : :'  :