Re: Setting up HP J4580 on Debian?

On Mon, Mar 15, 2010 at 6:56 PM, Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> wrote:
On 2010-03-15 17:29, Michael Yang wrote:
I was trying to setup the HP officejet J4580 on my debian laptop, lenny 5.0.3 (2.6.26).
Although the driver was installed and the printer was detected without problem, it does not print any pages. When I print the page, it tells me the job has been submitted to the printer, and after a short while, it returns that the job has been completed, while the printer remains silent without printing anything.

I used different ways to install drivers:
1. downloaded hplip all-in-one tar ball  from HP's website
2. install hplip from debian's repository
3. install hpoj, xsane from debian's repository replacing hplip

Maybe the HP hplip went in /usr/local and remnants are conflicting with the Debian packages?

I cleaned the old one when I install the new one. Have checked in /usr/local, no remnants found. I have few packages in /usr/local.

All the above three ways can get the drivers loaded correctly, and the printer is probed automatically. But the printer does not respond to any command. (BTW: The printer works well on WindowsXP)

Can any one share experience about this?

/var/log/cups has two files that might be useful: access_log and error_log.

From the error_log, I found this info:
 E [15/Mar/2010:18:01:39 -0400] [cups-driverd] Bad driver information file "/usr/share/cups/drv/sample.drv"!

It looks like it was loading the wrong driver. However, there is another .drv file under "/usr/share/cups/drv/hp/hpcups.drv". I can find the support information for this printer in the hpcups.drv. So then ... how to load this hpcups.drv instead of sample.drv it loaded as shown in error_log?

Thanks,
Michael.

Also, /var/log/syslog and /var/log/messages.

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA  USA

"If God had wanted man to play soccer, he wouldn't have given
us arms."  Mike Ditka