Re: More Xorg

On 2010-03-15 22:08, Stephen Powell wrote:
On Mon, 15 Mar 2010 18:20:28 -0400 (EDT), Brad Rogers wrote:
[snip]
(WW) NV: Ignoring unsupported device 0x10de0848 (C77 [GeForce 8300]) at 02@00:00:0

The above is the most important entry in the log file.  You have
an unsupported chipset.  Therefore, the nv driver cannot be used
unless you know the chipset to be compatible with another chipset
which is supported and you do a chipset override.  For example,
something like

   Chipset "G80"

I like my 7300SE.  Cheap and fanless.  Doesn't support VDPAU, though.

in the "Device" section might work.  I'm not making any promises.
If it doesn't, look in /var/log/Xorg.0.log for error messages.
Sometimes, if you give an invalid value for Chipset it will list
what the valid values are, and you may find something there that
is close enough to work.

Another possibility
is to install the xserver-xorg-video-nv package from unstable, which
is newer and *might* support your chipset.

Or the (what's that hissing noise coming from Boston?) nvidia binary driver. Lots of people hate it, it's not perfect (but darn it if there's not a single non-trivial perfect FLOSS system out there either!), and they regularly drop support for older chips, but where the rubber hits the road, it works a damned site better than the nv driver.

Best of all, when it *does* break, you can always go back to nv until it's fixed. Woo hoo! Ain't choice great!

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA  USA

"If God had wanted man to play soccer, he wouldn't have given
us arms."  Mike Ditka