Re: aptitude lists linux-image-2.6.32-trunk-686 under Obsolete and Locally Created Packages?

On Mon, 15 Mar 2010 19:05:04 -0400
Frank McCormick <debianlist@videotron.ca> wrote:

> On Mon, 15 Mar 2010 17:39:01 -0400 (EDT)
> Stephen Powell <zlinuxman@wowway.com> wrote:

> > to be booted.  Then you can purge the old one.  aptitude will
> > not let you purge or remove a running kernel.
>

>   Uummm...yes it will. I have done it :( accidentally. What a PAIN!

Not sure how you could have done it by accident - aptitude warns you
thus:

-----

You are running a kernel (version 2.6.34-rc1-lizzie-00005-g522dba7) and
attempting to remove the same version. This is a potentially disastrous
action. Not only will /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.34-rc1-lizzie-00005-g522dba7 be
removed, making it impossible to boot it, (you will have to take action
to change your boot loader to boot a new kernel), it will also remove
all modules under the
directory /lib/modules/2.6.34-rc1-lizzie-00005-g522dba7. Just having a
copy of the kernel image is not enough, you will have to replace the
modules too.

I repeat, this is very dangerous. If at all in doubt, answer Yes. If
you know exactly what you are doing, and are prepared to hose your
system, then answer No. Do you want to abort removal
now?

-----

Celejar