Re: are aptitude and synaptic compatible?

On Sat, Mar 13, 2010 at 05:12:35PM +0200, Aioanei Rares wrote:
> Martin wrote:
> >I mean can I install/deinstall packages once with aptitude
> >then with synaptic without worry that something will break?
> >They both use same database of installed packages, right?

> >I guess the answer is 'yes' - I just want to be sure.
> >Martin

Nothing will break, but note that aptitude keeps a more severe tracking
of what is installed, meaning that, over time, you will get more
orphaned packages than what you'll get by using only aptitude.

OTOH, use deborphan (orphanar - curses interface or gtkorphan) to keep
an eye on those packages.

Omar Campagne Polaino

vim-doc-es: <http://www.assembla.com/wiki/show/vim-doc-es>