Re: are aptitude and synaptic compatible?

On 2010-03-15 01:06 +0100, Omar Campagne wrote:

> On Sat, Mar 13, 2010 at 05:12:35PM +0200, Aioanei Rares wrote:
>> Martin wrote:
>> >I mean can I install/deinstall packages once with aptitude
>> >then with synaptic without worry that something will break?
>> >They both use same database of installed packages, right?
>
>> >I guess the answer is 'yes' - I just want to be sure.
>> >Martin
>
> Nothing will break, but note that aptitude keeps a more severe tracking
> of what is installed, meaning that, over time, you will get more
> orphaned packages than what you'll get by using only aptitude.

This is wrong in Lenny and later.  The only difference is that aptitude
will by default remove orphaned packages automatically whereas apt-get
(and probably synaptic as well) will keep them and require you to run
»apt-get autoremove« once in a while.  Again, this is only the default
setting and can be changed.

> OTOH, use deborphan (orphanar - curses interface or gtkorphan) to keep
> an eye on those packages.

It is better to use "aptitude (un)markauto" or "apt-mark (un)markauto"
to let apt know about which packages you care about.  These days,
deborphan is (thankfully) pretty much obsolete.

Sven