Re: Installer problem

On Thu, 2010-03-11 at 02:06 -0700, Paul E Condon wrote:
> On 20100311_210440, Richard Hector wrote:

> > Shortly after it asks me if I want security and volatile repos, which I
> > say yes to, it hangs. Switching to tty4 I see that it's decided that the
> > upgraded packages it wants to install are untrusted, and is waiting for
> > me to type yes or no, which I can't do through the dialog (or whatever
> > it is) interface - or the gui install, for that matter.
>
> Yes. My work-around is to never request any packages beyond the bare
> miminum while installing with netinstall. Also, I deselect security
> and volatile during netinstall. Things that might not be available at
> the moment that they are needed during netinstall should not be
> requested.  If all goes well in the netinstall, you will soon have
> your new system up and running. So wait a few minutes to do the
> updates.
>
> I wish the installer were more user friendly, but ... I have no
> realistic suggestions as to how to make it more user friendly. I
> would count this as a wish-list item. Maybe the documentation
> should be rewritten to avoid suggesting that one install everything
> in one great surge.

Right, I redid the installation by deselecting the security and volatile
options, then upgraded afterwards by choosing a different mirror (my
employer maintains an unofficial mirror of those 2 for in-house use)

And I see there's actually already a bug report:

So I guess I'll leave it at that.

Thanks,

Richard