Re: Installer problem

On 20100311_210440, Richard Hector wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm using a lenny netinst iso that I've used successfully before, a few
> weeks ago, on a CD.
>
> I'm now trying to install into VirtualBox OSE, which I don't think is
> relevant.
>
> Shortly after it asks me if I want security and volatile repos, which I
> say yes to, it hangs. Switching to tty4 I see that it's decided that the
> upgraded packages it wants to install are untrusted, and is waiting for
> me to type yes or no, which I can't do through the dialog (or whatever
> it is) interface - or the gui install, for that matter.
>
> It seems to me there are two problems here: the mirror appears to have
> unsigned packages, or packages for which I have no certificates, and the
> installer has no way to detect this problem, and either abort or pass
> the question on to the user.
>
> Has anyone else experienced this problem? I guess I should file a bug
> against the installer?

Yes. My work-around is to never request any packages beyond the bare
miminum while installing with netinstall. Also, I deselect security
and volatile during netinstall. Things that might not be available at
the moment that they are needed during netinstall should not be
requested.  If all goes well in the netinstall, you will soon have
your new system up and running. So wait a few minutes to do the
updates.

I wish the installer were more user friendly, but ... I have no
realistic suggestions as to how to make it more user friendly. I
would count this as a wish-list item. Maybe the documentation
should be rewritten to avoid suggesting that one install everything
in one great surge.

--
Paul E Condon
pecondon@mesanetworks.net