Re: /boot partition changes when it should not

On Tue, 9 Mar 2010, Clive McBarton wrote:

umount /boot; mount /boot; dd_rescue /dev/sda1 /tmp/boot1;
umount /boot; mount /boot; dd_rescue /dev/sda1 /tmp/boot2;
diff /tmp/boot1 /tmp/boot2

Hi Clive.  I've never used diff to compare binary files.

Is the md5sum of the different files the same?

Result: No change. Hence it does not increment a mount count as long as
it is manually unmounted and remounted while the system is up.

The filesystem sees no distinction between mounting during boot or mounting any other time. It does increment the mount count. I even went and confirmed this on one of my systems. Same situation - ext3 /boot.

Use tune2fs -l <filesystem device> to take a look.

Malicious modifying of files with a disk editor is exactly the undesired
stuff that this whole checksumming is supposed to detect.

Why not just use Aide? It's a path of least resistance IMHO and will produce a better overall result.

To get an absolute, no write, ever, to the device, the OP will need to
figure out how to force  read only permissions on the device /dev/sda1,
across boots.

Phantastic idea! Can it be done? I have not heard about this yet. It
would be great.

Well that's a big topic in itself. I think you'd need to get in to mandatory access controls to do this in an effective way.

Cheers,

Rob

--
Email: robert@timetraveller.org