Re: DAAP server for OS X or Debian?

Dr. Jennifer Nussbaum wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I use iTunes on a Mac to host my very large music library. I want to share
>this music over DAAP to my Debian box (dont really care what client i use,
>Rhythmbox or Banshee or Songbird is all fine), but the iTunes version encrypts
>it so you cant use it with non-iTunes clients.
>
> Is there a current, supported DAAP server that runs on OS X, or alternately, if
>i decided to switch to host my music on Debian (which i dont want to do mainly
>because i have a bunch of useful utilities on the Mac that dont exist on Linux),
>is there a recommended one for Linux?
>
> Ive looked at some of the projects, but they confuse me because there are a lot
>and some of them are no longer supported, or use plugins that are no longer
>supported, etc. So if there's a "main" one that everyone likes, I will be happy
>to use that.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Jen

Hi, I had good luck using mt-daapd (known also as "firefly") to serve my
music (flac and ogg mainly) hosted on my Debian machine. Clients running
Rhythmbox, Amarok2 (Amarok from kde3 had issues with mt-daapd), or
Songbird with a plugin have no trouble playing the files on my lan/wlan.
I had the occasional Mac clients (ITunes) and they were able to use the
mt-daapd share too, even Winamp on Windows.
I read a while ago that it's possible to run the server on Mac OSX
through Fink or Macport, but since I have no interest in it I didn't
investigate any further, your favourite search engine should tell you
more (maybe there's a native Mac version now).