Re: Vfat or NTFS?

On 3/7/2010 12:50 PM, Russell Gadd wrote:
I've been using Vfat for data partitions which I can access from both
Linux and Windows (multibooted). Recently I added another hard drive
formatted NTFS and have had no trouble getting Lenny to use it.

I am wondering now whether to convert my Vfat partitions to NTFS as
there are some advantages. For example I recently forgot about the 4GB
file restriction of Vfat when trying to download a DVD iso - it got to
4GB then gave up so I had to redownload again to the NTFS volume. I
suspect NTFS is more reliable at least in Windows. Are there any
potential issues in Linux - e.g. reliability / speed.

Should I go NTFS now for my data files? (keeping the main Lenny root
filesystem on an ext3 partition).

Lacking any sane alternative, I would say NTFS. Just be careful, always use umount before removing a removable drive. vFAT is to limited, though it's well understood.

exFAT would be highly useful, especially on removable drives, if there were good support on Linux. (There are those who object merely on the grounds of not using anything to do do with Microsoft, but in that case, we wouldn't use vFAT or NTFS, either.)

I would like to request that someone with the requisite skill set devise a good substitute for exFAT, and create Linux, BSD, and Windows drivers for it. Please.

Mark Allums