Re: Overwrite existing partition with zeros without hurting partition table? (Debian Lenny)

In <[🔎] 4B93556D.8070908@cox.net>, Ron Johnson wrote:
>On 2010-03-06 21:11, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:

>>> Non sequiter?
>>
>> Not really.
>>
>> 1. Old installation using one of more reiserfs file systems.
>> 2. Install Lenny without wiping; use one or more reiserfs file systems.
>> 3. Worst-case scenario file system failure.
>> 4. (reiserfsck --rebuild-tree) -> Links files from the old file system
>> into the new file system.
>
>You're joking.  You *must* be joking.

No, sir.  That said, I've never personally experienced it.

>But then, I never did --rebuild-tree.

I've only had to do it once or twice.

>While I had lots of problems with ReiserFS 3, v3.5 was really darned
>stable.  Only reason I moved away from it was that it was
>undermaintained.

I continue to use it despite it's few warts.  I do want to move away from it,
but I'm hoping to put it off until a stable BTrFS is available in Sid.