Rer: Two Lenny problems

Stephen,
I did nothing about your last email because I didn't see it until after I had made the last change, but, yes, the last Lenny install was to the 8400 with a different audio card. Now the 8400 has Windows 7 Ultimate on it with the original Creative SB Live! audio card and the original HD. Sound did not work at first, but does now after downloading drivers for the SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio and the SB Live! 24-bit. So, the hardware works. Is it a lack of proper drivers for Lenny? FYI: the first three attempts to install Windows 7 failed at the point of "Starting Windows", so I started an install of Windows XP, stopped it because the SB card was not connected to the front headphone jack. After connecting it, I started Windows 7 again thinking it would have all the necessary drivers. The fourth install proceeded without a glitch. Weird, huh? What does a headphone connection have to do with installing the OS? Right now, I am inclined to leave Windows 7 on the 8400 and put Lenny on the Fujitsu, just to use more partitions on the 1.5TB drive. But, at the partitioning part of the last Lenny installation, I noticed that even the "manual" option of the partitioning scheme only offered five separate partitions. What did I miss? It also caused me to reconsider the usefulness of more than five partitions on a Linux system. With the ext3 journaling file system of Lenny, what advantage is there to more than five partitions? And is there any advantage to installing LVM? Another consideration is the appearance of "window trails" (similar to laptop "pointer trails") when Lenny was on the Fujitsu. There is an EVGA 8400GS video card in the Fujitsu. It is little more than a year old and was bought because the video slot in the Fujitsu is the PCI Express type and I had no card that would fit it. It uses an nVidia GeForce 8400 GS video processor. What would have to be done to eliminate the trails?