Re: Can't Zap X (Option "DontZap" "off")

> > I'd like to be able to use Ctrl-Alt-BS to kill X, but can't get it
>
> Finally found something that works, this line in ~/.xmodmap :
>
>     keycode 22 = BackSpace Terminate_Server

Actually, what was preventing the Ctrl-Alt-BS key combo from working
was a line in my ~/.xmodmap that I'd forgotten about:

    keycode 22 = BackSpace Prior

Which I commented out when trying the keycode mentioned in my previous
post. It was the commenting out of this line that allowed Ctrl-Alt-BS
to effectively Zap X ... What I've finally arrived at, to remap Zap to
something else is as follows:

in ~/.xmodmap :

    ! Make Control_R the Mode_switch key
    add mod2    = Mode_switch
    keycode 105 = Mode_switch
    ! make Shift-Control_R-Delete Zap X
    keycode 119 = Delete Delete Delete Terminate_Server

Then, in /etc/X11/xorg.conf set "DontZap" to "off" :

    Section "ServerFlags"
        Option "DontZap"  "off"  #disable <Crtl><Alt><BS> (server abort)
    EndSection

Or just comment out the above. Or leave it out entirely, but do not
set it to "on".

Now X will be Zapped by pressing Shift-Control_R-Delete, a somewhat
more unlikely key-press combo (for me anyways).

BTW, I found this guide to be very helpful in understanding xmodmap:

    Some hints about xmodmap(1) and the X11 keyboard model
    http://www.in-ulm.de/~mascheck/X11/xmodmap.html

Regards,

John

--