Re: MySQL upgrade failed PLEASE HELP!!!

On Sat, 6 Mar 2010 15:22:01 -0500 (EST), Oscar Corte wrote:

> Just today I upgraded my Debian Lenny Server, many packages
> were upgraded succesfully, but MySQL server wich is not working anymore.
>
> What can I do to restore MySQL server?
>
> Error messages shown are these:
>
> Starting MySQL database server: mysql . . . . . failed!
> invoke-rc.d: initscript mysql, action "start" failed.
> dpkg: error processing mysql-server-5.0 (--configure):
> subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 1
> dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of mysql-server:
> mysql-server depends on mysql-server-5.0; however:
>  Package mysql-server-5.0 is not configured yet.
> dpkg error: error processing mysql-server (--configure):
> dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
>
> Thanks in advance for any advice

I'm not sure that this is the time or the place for this,
but I have to admit it irritates me when people say "Thanks in
advance."  It irritates me primarily because it appears to be
an excuse for not saying "thank you" later if someone really does
help you.  Saying "thanks" afterward shows gratefulness.  Saying
"thanks" in advance seems somewhat presumptuous to me.

But anyway, here are some things you can try.

First, check out /var/log/syslog to see if there are any useful
diagnostic messages there.  dmesg|less is another place you
can check.  Also try invoking the following commands as root:

/etc/init.d/mysql stop
dpkg-reconfigure -plow mysql-server-5.0
/etc/init.d/mysql start

and see if any informative messages show up on the console or
in /var/log/syslog.