Re: Overwrite existing partition with zeros without hurting partition table? (Debian Lenny)

On 2010-03-06 03:07, Osamu Aoki wrote:
Hi,

On 2010-03-05 22:14, Mark wrote:
On Fri, Mar 5, 2010 at 5:55 PM, Jochen Schulz <ml@well-adjusted.de> wrote:
Why do you think you need to blank the partition before installing
lenny? There *are* reasons to do that, but they have nothing to do with
the installation of a new OS.
Just a habit I've acquired over the years - I like to have the hdd blanked
with zeros to ensure there are no ghost/residual files left on any of the
sectors before installing anything.

That's *completely* and *utterly* nonsensical.  mkfs wipes over the
existing file structures.

Really?  If you really wish to erase data, that seems moderately safe
action to do for me.
See:

[snip]

As I understand, if you have sensitive data on harddisk, just doing mkfs only
is not enough to erase them all.  It overwrites very small portion of them.  It
certainly makes almost impossible to read them by most of us with limited
time.  Doing dd is one step more safe.  ...

It's one thing to be concerned that They might be able to partially reconstruct sensitive data from unwritten-over sectors, and yet another to be worried about "ghost/residual files".

Maybe he just incorrectly worded his concerns, but there *is* IMNSHO a significant difference between the two scenarios.

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA  USA

"If God had wanted man to play soccer, he wouldn't have given
us arms."  Mike Ditka