Re: Overwrite existing partition with zeros without hurting partition table? (Debian Lenny)

On 2010-03-05 22:14, Mark wrote:
On Fri, Mar 5, 2010 at 5:55 PM, Jochen Schulz <ml@well-adjusted.de> wrote:

Why do you think you need to blank the partition before installing
lenny? There *are* reasons to do that, but they have nothing to do with
the installation of a new OS.

Just a habit I've acquired over the years - I like to have the hdd blanked
with zeros to ensure there are no ghost/residual files left on any of the
sectors before installing anything.

That's *completely* and *utterly* nonsensical. mkfs wipes over the existing file structures.

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA  USA

"If God had wanted man to play soccer, he wouldn't have given
us arms."  Mike Ditka