Bash "read" command: want to preload some data

What I am trying to do is "preload" a bash read command with a value
which can be accepted, edited or changed by the user.  Some googling
shows that this is dead easy to with the -i option which appeared in
bash version 4 - I have found this:

---------------------
Example: ask for a path with a default value.
Note: The -i option was introduced with Bash 4.
read -e -p "Enter the path to the file: " -i "/usr/local/etc/" FILEPATH
The user will be prompted, he can just accept the default, or edit it.

This is exactly what I want.  However, for the sake of compatibility, I
would like to do the same thing using older versions of bash, even if it
means messier coding.  Does anyone have any ideas on how to do this
please?

--
Bob Cox.  Stoke Gifford, near Bristol, UK.
Please reply to the list only.  Do NOT send copies directly to me.