Re: Single root filesystem evilness decreasing in 2010? (on workstations)

> So, what are the advantages I see, and why don't they matter to me anymore?

First off, IIUC you seem to want to use LVM, right?
I'd agree with this choice: there's little reasons not to use LVM nowadays.
Once you've decided to use LVM, then the rest (happily) doesn't really
matter anyway, since you can change your mind later on without too much
trouble.

The way I usually do it: one small /boot ext3 partition, and everything
else in LVM.  After that, do as you feel like.

As for all those issues you're pondering: they really don't matter that
much for a workstation.  I still use a "/, and /home" split (plus /boot)
on my machines, mostly out of habit.

I've been known to create separate partitions for my music and my DVD
collections, but that's only to work around the static-number-of-inodes
limitation of ext3 where multimedia content ends up wasting a lot of
inodes and I wanted to gain back a few more percents of disk space.

Since I have separate filesystems, I sometimes mount them with different
options (like nodev for /home), but I'm not paranoid enough to use
separate filesystems just to be able to use such mount options.

        Stefan