Re: -i386 to amd64

> However, it has transpired that it wasn't that simple to change from the i686
> kernel to amd64 even though my 32 packages will work under the amd64 kernel
> Apt and Dpkg for instance don't seem to know this has happened.

Others have already answered the "how to move from i386 to amd64", but
I'll just point out that you may prefer to just keep using an i386
distribution with your amd64 kernel.

After all, the i386 version of GNU/Linux is by far the most widely used,
supported, and tested.  Admittedly, you may occasionally run into
incompatibilities between an i386-userland and the amd64-kernel (last
I tried the i386-s2disk still did not work with an amd64 kernel), but if
your use doesn't bump into any such issue (they're typically rare), then
maybe there's no good reason to change.

        Stefan