Re: Why doesn't iceweasel work with iceape

On Sat, 27 Feb 2010, Jens Van Broeckhoven wrote:

On Saturday 27 February 2010 16:30:08 Bret Busby wrote:
I am running Debian 5.

I have iceweasel installed, and I have iceape installed.

I use iceape because it allows me, on clicking on a mailto link, to open
an iceape mail composer window.

In trying to configure iceweasel to do the same (iceweasel defaults to
opening evolution, which I understand to be much the same as microsoft
outlook), I open the iceweasel Edit -> Preferences -> Applications ->
mailto option, and it displays the options "Use Gmail", Use Yahoo!
Mail", "Always ask", and "Use other", which does not give access to
iceape mail composer.

But, it does not display an option for "Use Iceape Mail Composer", and,
with iceape mail composer, in viewing the properties, and thus the
launch command, the iceweaselpreferences options, do not allow for
entering the command to run iceape mail composer; "iceape -compose".

So, iceweasel recognises proprietary email applications (gmail and yahoo
mail), but, does not recognise the realted email application; iceape
mail composer, and, apparently, prohibits the use of iceape mail
composer, to acion mailto links.

Why doesn't iceweasel work with iceape?

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

1. run:  dpkg-reconfigure iceweasel
2. run:  update-alternatives --config x-www-browser

--
Jens Van Broeckhoven

The second command above, appears to be for setting the default browser.

Does an equivalent command exist, for setting the default email application?

Also, as an aside (as the first of those two commands, requires restarting iceweasel), whilst, when iceweasel crashes, a user can choose to restore the crashed session, like with Opera, can a session be saved, and chosen to be restored after an orderly shutdown of iceweasel, like with Opera?

Thank you in anticiaption.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale