Re: Upgrade to Lenny?

On Sat, Feb 27, 2010 at 10:55:12AM +0000, Hadi Motamedi wrote:

> Thank you . I modified my Lenny settings as the followings :
>
> - under /etc/network/interfaces
>
> auto lo
>
> iface lo inet loopback
>
> allow-hotplug eth0
>
> iface eth0 inet static
>
> address 192.168.10.114
>
> netmask 255.255.255.0
>
> network 192.168.10.0
>
> broadcast 192.168.10.255
>
> gateway 192.168.10.2
>
> dns-nameservers 4.2.2.4 192.9.9.3
>
> - under /etc/resolv.conf
>
> nameserver 4.2.2.4
>
> But still the gateway cannot be PING . Please be informed that , with
> respect to my low Internet bandwidth , I just installed the Base
> System on my Lenny . Can it be the root cause of the problem of not
> being able to connect my Lenny to Internet ? Please comment me .

Looks reasonably OK.  What happens if you do an

ifup eth0?

Do you get any messages in dmesg (dmesg | more will work to show you the
latest contents of dmesg).

Reboot - does the ethernet come up / do you get error messages?

If you know that you will always use eth0, you can change the
allow-hotplug eth0 to auto eth0

Base system should be enough - it's enough to allow you to get updates
from the internet, for example.

Do you have any other machines on your internal network? Can you ping
those or other machines?

If you can, please post any results / error messages.
Also, you don't say what country you're in : it may be that support
resources are available closer to hand :)

All the best,

AndyC