Re: Upgrade to Lenny?

On Sat, Feb 27, 2010 at 09:13:26AM +0000, Hadi Motamedi wrote:

> > > It is now running version 5.0.4 . But
> > > surprisingly I cannot connect it to Internet , as I did previously . I am
> > > trying as the followings :
> > >
> > >#ifconfig eth0 ip-address netmask netmask-bits up

Herewith a correctly formatted /etc/network/interfaces for an eth0

# The loopback network interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

# The primary network interface
allow-hotplug eth0
iface eth0 inet static
	address	192.168.1.115
	netmask	255.255.255.0
	network	192.168.1.0
	broadcast	192.168.1.255
	gateway	192.168.1.1
# dns-* options are implemented by the resolvconf package, if installed
	dns-nameservers 62.31.176.39 195.188.53.113 195.188.53.114

and the corresponding /etc/resolv.conf

nameserver 192.168.1.1

[resolvconf was previously installed, I think - in any event, the
dns-nameservers line points to my ISP's nameservers here and the single
nameserver line points to my current network gateway]

This also works

# The loopback network interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

# The primary network interface
allow-hotplug eth0
iface eth0 inet static
	address	192.168.1.115
	netmask	255.255.255.0
	network	192.168.1.0
	broadcast	192.168.1.255
	gateway	192.168.1.1

and

nameserver 195.188.53.114
nameserver 195.188.53.113
nameserver 194.168.4.100

where the /etc/resolv.conf has a direct reference to three of the ISPs
nameservers - if one goes, then the next one is tried: the
/etc/network/interfaces no longer has the reference to dns-nameservers
and /etc/resolv.conf

Glad to hear that you upgraded to Lenny: use the above files as a
reference if it helps,

All the best,

AndyC