RE: Upgrade to Lenny?

> From: bss@iguanasuicide.net
> To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
> Subject: Re: Upgrade to Lenny?
> Date: Sat, 27 Feb 2010 01:03:59 -0600
>
> In <[🔎] SNT125-W520C423B872FB71E60D473DB3E0@phx.gbl>, Hadi Motamedi wrote:
> >I upgraded my
> > Debian box from Sarge to Lenny .
>
> Did you read the Release Notes? If not, you should.
>
> Also note that going directly from Sarge to Lenny isn't really supported -- it
> may or may not have worked completely. You should have done an intermediate
> upgrade to Etch.
>
> > It is now running version 5.0.4 . But
> > surprisingly I cannot connect it to Internet , as I did previously . I am
> > trying as the followings :
> >
> >#ifconfig eth0 ip-address netmask netmask-bits up
> >
> >#route add default gw gw-address
> >
> >#vi /etc/resolv.conf
> >
> &g t;domain domain-name
> >
> >nameserver dns-server
> >
> >I did it repeatedly when I was on my Sarge and it always got true . By I am
> > trying for the same procedure on my new Lenny and it does not get through .
> > Can you please let me know why ?
>
> Can you ping the gw-address? Can you ping the dns-server?
>
> Is eth0 the correct device? The output of (/sbin/ifconfig -a) might help us
> determine that.
>
> You should be using /etc/network/interfaces to configure your network. Then,
> you can use ifup and ifdown or even have the device automatically started as
> boot time. See (man 5 interfaces) for information about the file.
> --
> Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. ,= ,-_-. =.
> bss@iguanasuicide.net ((_/)o o(\_))
> ICQ: 514984 YM/AIM: DaTwinkDaddy `-'(. .)`-'
> http://iguanasuicide.net/ \_/

Thank you . According to the Debian page , the current network installation iso image is 'debian-504-i386-netinst.iso' that I have tried with . I tried to define my netwirk settings according to your comment , i.e. defining them inside /etc/network/interfaces . But still the gw-address cannot be PING , nor the dns . Can you please give me a hint on this ?