Upgrade to Lenny?

Dear All
According to your previous replies on my 'tcpdump' inquiry , I upgraded my Debian box from Sarge to Lenny . It is now running version 5.0.4  . But surprisingly I cannot connect it to Internet , as I did previously . I am trying as the followings :
#ifconfig eth0 ip-address netmask netmask-bits up
#route add default gw gw-address
#vi /etc/resolv.conf
domain domain-name
nameserver dns-server
I did it repeatedly when I was on my Sarge and it always got true . By I am trying for the same procedure on my new Lenny and it does not get through . Can you please let me know why ?
Thank you