Re: LDAP: possible problems with user authentication

On Mon, Feb 22, 2010 at 10:42:31AM -0400, Germana Oliveira wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Some service (software) companies have been telling us 'not to use
> ldap for user authentication' instead they recommend us to use
> Microsoft Active Directory, this because, they say, LDAP is
> problematic, talking about domain,  and hard to use - for example is
> very complicated to change a password in LDAP, versus the Graphical
> interface of Active Directory.

Probably because they sell MS Active Directory, and don't sell LDAP on
Linux...

> We think, Active Directory can be a open door for our system, so we
> really want to use LDAP, because all our servers are going to be in
> Debian...
>
> So we want to know your experience with LDAP.

At a previous job I set up Samba/LDAP as a domain controller (as a test
only, it was not used in production).  It worked.  Windows clients could
change their passwords using the default Windows tools.

There are several GUIs for this:

Webmin
phpldapadmin
ldap account manager

I'm sure there are more, but those are a few that I've tried.

There is a lot to learn if you are going to set this up yourself.
Alternatively, you could try a pre-packaged solution like SMEServer,
which will set up a domain controller for you.  I tested it and it
worked, but it seemed less flexible (but very simple) than doing it by
hand.

-Rob