LDAP: possible problems with user authentication

Hi!

Some service (software) companies have been telling us 'not to use
ldap for user authentication' instead they recommend us to use
Microsoft Active Directory, this because, they say, LDAP is
problematic, talking about domain,  and hard to use - for example is
very complicated to change a password in LDAP, versus the Graphical
interface of Active Directory.

We think, Active Directory can be a open door for our system, so we
really want to use LDAP, because all our servers are going to be in
Debian...

So we want to know your experience with LDAP.

Thank U !!!

--
Germana Oliveira

germanaoliveirab arroba gmail punto com