Re: Correct binary for Intel Core i5

On 2/23/2010 12:43 AM, Jacek Politowski wrote:
On Mon, Feb 22, 2010 at 10:32:55PM -0600, Mark Allums wrote:

It's true, you can have large memory with i386, but why?

To have still the most compatible system?

Some legacy apps may still be available only as 32-bit.

Theoretically most of the 32-bit software should run fine on 64-bit
kernel with 32-bit userland, but it's not true for all of it -
take Virtualbox as an example. Virtualbox is the reason why I haven't
switched to amd64 kernel, I'm waiting for multiarch support in Debian
(which of course will not help for apps available only as 32-bit and
not compatible with 64-bit kernel, but I don't think I use any of
them).

Yes, I know I could switch to a fully amd64 desktop, yet it's a
not-as-easy-as-it-looks and time-consuming process.

For existing systems, I recommend sticking with what you already have, but for new systems, I recommend 64-bit. Most newbies are not saddled with legacy apps.

Mark Allums