Re: Correct binary for Intel Core i5

On 2/22/2010 7:44 PM, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
In<[🔎] 4B832DBB.5050403@allums.com>, Mark Allums wrote:
On 2/22/2010 6:19 PM, Johan Kullstam wrote:
Mark Allums<mark@allums.com>   writes:
AMD64 is the designation for the 64-bit chip architecture, not the
actual chip manufacturer.  AMD devised it, and Intel did the sensible
thing and copied it when they expanded their x86 architecture to
64-bit; it was a very good design.

The 32 bit i386 is also viable.

That's true (but it's losing ground fast).  Most people install 4 MB or
more these days, and want it all.

They can still use it all, just not all in a single process by using the i386
userland with the (Debian-provided) amd64 kernel.

Unless you are doing A/V work (Rendering, large image editing, large sound
file editing, or video editing), a single process taking 2+ GiB of memory is
probably indicative of a problem.

Anyway, 32-bit will soon be relegated to smartphones and iPads. Desktops and serious laptops will need 64-bit in both kernel and userland. Netbooks? I don't know, but I don't really care, especially.

It's true, you can have large memory with i386, but why?

Mark Allums