Re: Air compressors vs. canned air

Chris Jones put forth on 2/13/2010 8:30 PM:
> Just paid c. $10.00 for a DYNEX Compressed Gas Duster, IOW a 10 oz. can
> of compressed air from my local Best Buy.
>
> Not so much the money per se, but each time I buy one of those, I get
> this nagging feeling that I've had been had.

That's because you've been had.

> Has anyone with real world experience in the area of computer cleaning
> tried such solutions as the MetroVac duster line and might be able to
> comment on the respective merits of air compressors vs. air cans..?

When my systems get dirty, I carry them out to the garage and blow them out with
the shop compressor, around 100 psi is what I use.  Don't stick the nozzle too
close to the components as you could possibly damage things.

If you're a closet nerd type with no real world experience with anything, you'd
probably better stick with the canned stuff, even though it's the rip off of all
rip offs.

If you have ever actually worked on and fixed something under the hood of your
own car or changed your own oil, you're good to go wrt using a compressor for PC
cleaning.  If not, again, you probably should stick with the canned air.

Apartment?  Compressors are too loud, and you probably have no place to store a
compressor.  In that case, buy a ~$20 air bubble from Walmart or Orschelens or
similar, a hose, a trigger nozzle, etc and fill it up at the gas station's free
air pump.  Probably would be a good idea to get a tank gauge too so you don't
overfill it and kill yourself in the ensuing explosion. ;)  I'm just kidding.
It wouldn't kill you.  It would just crack a weld and scare the crap outta ya,
maybe make your ears ring for a few hours.  Of course it would be ruined at that
point and you'd have to buy another one.  I've used em before and they work
great.  Very portable.

--
Stan