Re: which debian i should install?

I just went back and reread the original post:

rosy_qutie@yahoo.com wrote:
i want to install debian on my computer.by searching its website i reaches at the page
http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/5.0.4/i386/iso-cd/
but i am not able to decide which debian?
i dont understand the computer jargon.i cannot install it via internet or through any network. i think i can install it by a cd and debian-504-i386-CD-.iso <http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/5.0.4/i386/iso-cd/debian-504-i386-CD-1.iso> will work for me but why there are cd-1 to cd-31.
i also want to know what to do with MD5SUMS.
is it also nessacery to download it.
may be it is not nessacery but i want to know how to use it.
please help me.
I don't think anybody actually answered this - we all jumped to discussion of debian vs. ubuntu vs. whatever.

So...

1. a question to the original poster: what do you mean that you "cannot install via internet" - if you can download the cd, you should be able to do a network install (if you have no network connection to the machine, then you might want to consider a version of linux that does not depend on the net for software updates and such - say a liveCD based on Debian, like http://debian-live.alioth.debian.org/ or http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/)

2. take a look at

a. http://www.debian.org/releases/ - to decide what release to download (for a beginner, I'd recommend "stable")

b. http://www.debian.org/distrib/ - to decide what kind of download to pick (net install image, full set of CDs, etc.)

c. http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/installmanual - detailed install instructions

3. after you've read, and tried to follow, the instructions, come back here if/when you get stuck (or let us know if you're successful)