Re: which debian i should install?

On 7.2.2010 21:02, Mark wrote:
>>On Sun, Feb 7, 2010 at 8:28 AM, Jari Fredriksson <jarif@iki.fi
> <mailto:jarif@iki.fi>> wrote:
>
>     >I have used Linux from 1994, but mostly in servers and text mode. I now
>     >have a VirtualBox on my Windows, and desktop linuces on that too. I
>     have
>     >latest Debian, and latest Ubuntu Desktops.
>     >
>     >While I prefer Debian as my server systems, I definitely prefer Ubuntu
>     >as a Desktop. The Debian workstation has this font problem: it just
>     does
>     >not like usable out of the box. Ubuntu looks great.
>     >
>     >
>     >As a Linux beginner, I say: go Ubuntu. That way you get the Debian open
>     >system with acceptable user experience.
>

> Your linux experience definitely outweighs mine (only about 1 year for
> me) but I tried to give Ubuntu a chance several times this past year and
> always wound up coming back to Debian.  To each his/her own I suppose,
> but I guess I would expect to hear "use Ubuntu" from people in an
> experience range more like mine, while I'd expect to hear "use Debian"
> from people with more experience.  Strange to hear the opposite in this
> case.

Debian is a great base. Ubuntu is based on Debian (try 'cat
/etc/debian_version' under Ubuntu ;)

Debian is great. And Ubuntu is an improvement on that platform.
Improvement in the sense that it is better for inexperienced users, and
also for experienced users being lazy, and not willing to tweak the
system. Canonical the company workers are doing the tweaking for us.

--
http://www.iki.fi/jarif/

A banker is a fellow who lends you his umbrella when the sun is shining
and wants it back the minute it begins to rain.
		-- Mark Twain