Re: which debian i should install?

On Sun, 07 Feb 2010 23:58:57 +0200
Jari Fredriksson <jarif@iki.fi> dijo:

>Debian is a great base. Ubuntu is based on Debian (try 'cat
>/etc/debian_version' under Ubuntu ;)
>
>Debian is great. And Ubuntu is an improvement on that platform.
>Improvement in the sense that it is better for inexperienced users, and
>also for experienced users being lazy, and not willing to tweak the
>system. Canonical the company workers are doing the tweaking for us.

I came to Debian via Ubuntu, and so have a lot of other Debian users.

Several years ago Mark Shuttleworth decided that it was time for Linux
on the desktop. He founded Canonical, and the fact that Ubuntu now
*owns* the Linux desktop market has proved him right.

A couple years ago I had front row seats to a speech he gave about his
experiences in space and about the founding of Canonical. He is a very
personable fellow who acts just like any ordinary person, in spite of
his incredible accomplishments.

There are lots of wonderful distros out there, all with their own good
points and their own faithful users. But my hat is off to Shuttleworth
for bringing millions to Linux.