Re: which debian i should install?

Mark wrote:

    >As a Linux beginner, I say: go Ubuntu. That way you get the
    Debian open
    >system with acceptable user experience.

Your linux experience definitely outweighs mine (only about 1 year for me) but I tried to give Ubuntu a chance several times this past year and always wound up coming back to Debian. To each his/her own I suppose, but I guess I would expect to hear "use Ubuntu" from people in an experience range more like mine, while I'd expect to hear "use Debian" from people with more experience. Strange to hear the opposite in this case.
I keep coming back to Debian on servers, and MacOS ("BSD Unix inside") on the desktop.

But it really does come down to what the original poster is trying to accomplish:

i. if a relatively experienced computer person, new to Unix - Debian is definitely a win: clean, reliable, well supported, and apt wins hands down for keeping packages up to date

ii. if the OP is trying to learn about linux, then either Gentoo or Linux From Scratch provide incredible insight into what goes on under the hood; after which Debian is a lot easier to maintain for day-to-day use

One man's opinion.

Miles Fidelman