Re: one website gives "address not found" from LAN

On Fri, 05 Feb 2010 20:40:01 +0000, Adam Hardy wrote:

> Camaleón on 05/02/10 18:56, wrote:

>> It looks crystal clear to me: blame your ISP routing tables, any proxy
>> or service that it can be being used by them to filter Internet traffic
>> or just its DNS servers :-)
>
> It's a British-audience website and my ISP is British Telecom, plus it's
> an intermittent problem, so it's unlikely to be something like ISP
> routing tables, which shouldn't change on an hour by hour basis.

What the tests you have performed are telling you is that your ISP *is*
the problem, whatever the problem is :-)

> I guess it's just not a debian problem at all. Thought it might have
> been something in the way I set up my gateway server.

Debian? I don't think so, but you can always discard that hypothesis by

> OK, I'll see if I can figure out a way of automatically inserting the
> nameserver 4.2.2.1 into my resolv.conf via the dhcp config.

Can you "browse" that website by using another DNS server? :-?

If yes, the problem is even more clear: faulty dns servers from your ISP.

> Thanks anyway, and Florian thanks for the tip re: 4.2.2.1

Greetings,

--
Camaleón