Re: Realtek r8168 problems with net installer and Intel D945GSEJT motherboard

> On Sun, Jan 31, 2010 at 21:41:28 +0100, Jan Piet Joris en Corneel wrote:
>> 2010/1/31 Tony:
>> > Not sure it helps you but Squeeze installs fine on this motherboard.
>> Thanks, but I want Stable, not Testing.
>>
>> 2010/1/31 Florian Kulzer:
>> > The first thing I would try is one of Kenshi Muto's customized debian
>> > installer images with backported newer kernels and therefore better
>> > support for newer hardware:
>> >
>> > http://kmuto.jp/debian/d-i/
>> >
>> > (I have not checked anything for your particular NIC, therefore I cannot
>> >  say how likely it is that the d-i with the newer kernel will work.)
>>
>> Thanks for the suggestion. It didn't work, the installer keeps saying
>> it has no drivers for the NIC, asks me for a external source I don't
>> have.
>
> What exactly is the vendor and the device ID of this NIC? (check the
> output of "lspci -nn")
>
> The only Realtek 8168 that I can find in /usr/share/misc/pci.ids has
> [10ec:8168] and is listed in my modules.alias as being supported by the
> r8169 driver.

I'm sorry guys, but I've switched to Ubuntu Server 9.10 Karmic Koala.
Tired of all debian driver problems, and a ubuntu live usb disc
running without problems I decided to switch.

As far as I've understood now the issue has to do with kernel
versions. Debian Lenny has 2.6.26, Lenny-backports 2.6.30 and the
netinst images of Kenshi Muto currently 2.6.32. Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic has
2.6.31.

Installation of that OS wasn't without hassle too. For documentary
reasons the way I did it on the Intel D945GSEJT board. Answer to
Florian Kulzer's questions below.

1. Get yourself a windows XP pc with admin access, an empty USB stick
of at least 1 GB. Format it (you need admin rights to do that).
2. Put Ubuntu on it according to the instructions at Pendrivelinux:
http://www.pendrivelinux.com/run-ubuntu-9-10-server-edition-installer-from-usb/.
Make sure to use the windows application
"USB-Installer-For-Ubuntu-910-Server-Edition-v0.2.exe" (server edition
.exe differs from desktop edition .exe available at
http://www.pendrivelinux.com/create-a-ubuntu-9-10-live-usb-in-windows/)
and Ubuntu image "ubuntu-9.10-server-i386.iso". You cannot use x64
since the Atom N270 processor is 32 bit...
3. unmount and unplug stick from windows computer, put in D945GSEJT
board and boot.
4. select Help > F6.
5. type "install cdrom-detect/try-usb=true" and press enter. This is
needed to bypass the cdrom drive driver not found question which halts
the installer. See
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/FromUSBStick#Known%20Issues.
6. now the installer should run fine (at least it did at my board.
Other hardware used: 1 GB ram and an Kingston Data Traveler G2 4 GB
USB stick to host the new OS. A WD5000BEVT hard drive was inserted too
but only for data storage.

2010/1/31 Florian Kulzer <florian.kulzer+debian@icfo.es>:
> What exactly is the vendor and the device ID of this NIC? (check the
> output of "lspci -nn")
last line of lspci -nn at Karmic Koala shows this:
01:00.0 Ethernet Controller [0200]: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
RT8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller [10ec:8168] (rev
03)

lsmod shows r8169 is loaded after installation of Ubuntu.

> What happens if you try to "modprobe r8169" with the installer? (If I
> remember correctly, you can switch to a command prompt at any time with
> CTRL-ALT-F2.) Also check the output of dmesg after the modprobe.
Did not need to help the installer during installation for the NIC. If
that was necessary, the command should be:
modprobe r8169, which you can run in a second terminal window with Ctrl Alt F2.

Regards,
Corné