Realtek r8168 problems with net installer and Intel D945GSEJT motherboard

Dear all,

For some days I've trying to install Debian Lenny 5.0.3 using an USB
stick on an intel D945GSEJT motherboard (with Intel Atom N270
processor, 1 GB RAM and Realtek 8111DL gigabit onboard NIC, new home
server). I've problems with the NIC because it is not recognised by
the installer. Thus, the installation cannot continue. I've both tried
the netinst image and cd image nr 1. I copied them to USB drive with
UNetbootinst running on Win XP.

It seems numerous threads exist on this topic on multiple discussion
platforms, and it all has to do with an unsuitable module in the
kernel of the installer (and other kernel versions). It is possible to
install with a different NIC, see
http://justlinuxguide.blogspot.com/2009/11/how-i-have-installed-debian-linux-on.html.
Some people report module r8169 (..9, not 8) works partly, however
this seems to differ from installer to installer version. Apparently
r8169 is not loaded by default with the 5.0.3 installer.

Also instructions on compiling the module with the Realtek source code
are readily available and I can manage that.

The combinations confuses me. I want to run the installer but it halts
because it cannot recognise the NIC. If I want to install the NIC
driver, I need a Debian system. Sounds like a chicken and egg problem
to me.

Can somebody supply me instructions to get Lenny installed on this
board? I really want to get it up & running, Debian performed great
for five years on my previous home server.

Thanks,

Corné