Re: Realtek r8168 problems with net installer and Intel D945GSEJT motherboard

2010/1/31 Tony <tony10@silverpine.net>:
> Not sure it helps you but Squeeze installs fine on this motherboard.
Thanks, but I want Stable, not Testing.

2010/1/31 Florian Kulzer <florian.kulzer+debian@icfo.es>:
> The first thing I would try is one of Kenshi Muto's customized debian
> installer images with backported newer kernels and therefore better
> support for newer hardware:
>
> http://kmuto.jp/debian/d-i/
>
> (I have not checked anything for your particular NIC, therefore I cannot
>  say how likely it is that the d-i with the newer kernel will work.)

Thanks for the suggestion. It didn't work, the installer keeps saying
it has no drivers for the NIC, asks me for a external source I don't
have.

Other thing I don't understand is why the system asks for a CD-rom
source. The system doesn't have a CD-rom drive, I want to install from
USB & internet.

I also tried two 3com PCI NICs I had available in the PCI slot
(3C900B-TPO and 3C905B-TX) but it fails. I managed to get a 3C905B up
& running in my previous Lenny home server years ago (Compaq pentium 2
and it still runs), but I don't remember how. Are those drivers
removed from the current Debian installer?

At the moment the computer is running Ubuntu Desktop 9.10 i386 from
live cd (usb), no problems, I'm actually typing this from that OS.

I've tried installing Ubuntu server 9.10, doesn't work because of
cd-rom drive error (can't find driver). Didn't use Unetbootin but the
tool at http://www.pendrivelinux.com/run-ubuntu-9-10-server-edition-installer-from-usb/.
Also tried Ubuntu desktop
(http://www.pendrivelinux.com/create-a-ubuntu-9-10-live-usb-in-windows/)
and I can install from the booted live disc, but I don't want all GUI
stuff to install and cannot find the option to select the software I
want.

Any suggestions? I've used testing in the past, but switched to stable
at the moment Lenny was released to have less maintenance.

Corné