Re: Does lenny use grub2?

On Sat, 30 Jan 2010 01:31:13 +0100, Matteo Riva wrote:

> I have a squeeze system installed and I wanted to install a debian lenny
> in another partition and I was wondering if there could be issues with
> the bootloader. Does lenny use grub2 now? If not, will there be
> conflicts with the two versions?

Lenny can use Grub2, yes. The installer let you choose between old grub
and new grub.

But you can follow many paths:

1/ If you already have Grub (or Grub2) installed in your system, you can
choose not to install Grub for Lenny. Just add the corresponding entry
for Lenny to boot in the current grub/grub2 menu so it can start the
system.

2/ If you want to install another Grub (I'd recommend it), you can:

a) Install it in the MBR -> you will *overwrite* your current bootloader,
if any, located in the MBR.

b) Install it in the first sector of a partition -> this is my preferred
solution, as it does not touch the MBR at all and you can have as many
grubs as you want :-)

I, personally, like having MBR "clean" (just generic code, no bootloader
at all) and having Grub installed into partition(s) -each system holding
with its own Grub-. This way I can mark the desired partition the
computer will boot by just marking it with the boot-flag. I know, it's a
bit messy O:-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón