Re: How To determine the date the system & packages were installed.

On Fri, 29 Jan 2010 20:14:30 -0600, Mike Iowa wrote:

> I have done extensive searches and have found no answers for finding out
> the following information from Debian systems.
>
> 1. I would like to be able to tell when a package was installed.

Far from perfect, but you can get some info under "/var/lib/dpkg/info/
*.list".

Quick example: I installed "mail-notification", but when?

sm01@stt008:~$ ls /var/lib/dpkg/info/*.list -lh | grep mail-notification
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 4,4K nov 15 17:23 /var/lib/dpkg/info/mail-
notification.list

That shows November 15th at 17:23.

> 2. I would also like to be able to look at (any) Debian or Debian-based
> system and tell when the operating system was originally installed.

The bootloader creation filestamp can help.

sm01@stt008:/boot/grub$ ls -l /boot/grub/menu.lst
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 4888 nov 14 20:21 /boot/grub/menu.lst

(...)

> Preferably it would work with the base installation of any Debian
> system. I would like it to be more concrete than a file or directory
> listing. Given that can change for any
> number of reasons.

Yep, looking up files timestamps it's not "bullet-proof" but in some
scenarios can be a bit useful :-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón